You are here

History

CIRCLEVILLE, NY

Circleville is a hamlet in the Town of Walkill, County of Orange, State of New York

Prior to 1791, this area was a thick forest with a single log house, occupied by a Mr. Coddington. Circleville's post office was established in 1850. There was a blacksmith shop, wagon shop, shoe shop and two creameries.

Samuel Bull, Sr., a blacksmith who settled near Circleville, is said to have been employed on the chain used in the obstruction of the Hudson river during the Revolution.

Church services were held in the "White School House"  until the Circleville Presbyterian Church was built.

The Circleville Presbyterian Church was organized on January 4, 1842, and became a part of the Presbytery of Hudson. Its house of worship was erected in 1842, and a large part of the expense of such erection seems to have been contributed by donations in the way of labor, timber, lumber and mason work. The land, consisting of five acres, was donated by Samuel Bull, who, in addition to his gift of land, contributed much in labor, material and money, and to him the community is largely indebted for benefits derived from this church through its past years and at the present time.

The name Circleville was given to the Church and Village by Mrs. Mary Bull who thought Circleville, in Ohio, was a very pleasant name.

Wallkill History

Bull Family

Bull Family Picnic Photos on Flicker

Tribute to 9-11-01

Circleville Map by Mapquest (Click on Satellite and-or zoom in )

Youtube.com: 130 Old Fire Trucks Under One Roof

Graves in Circleville Presbyterian Church Cemetery

Scotchtown website

Bullville, NY

In 1723, King George I granted Thomas Bull 2,600 acres of land, some of which became Bullville, NY. Thomas gave his son Daniel, land in bullville to build his house. Daniel married Catherine Miller on January 17, 1780 and had 13 children. Daniel built a large stone house in 1787 which was later added onto twice on what is now know as "Roberson Ave". Of Daniel Bull's 13 children, 7 lived within two miles of the Stone House, thus the name Bullville was bestowed on the area.

On November 27, 1867 Josephine Bull married Captain Theodore Roberson of the Orange Blossoms 124th Regiment and lived in the stone house. In 1908 their eldest son, Louis married Florence Decker. They built the Roberson Family Homestead in the style of the large center hall colonials on Highland Ave, Middletown NY in 1915 for the grand sum of $3,450 which also included the barn. The Roberson Family Homestead was inducted into the Town of Crawford Historical Registry.

OTHER ORANGE COUNTY HISTORY SITES:

Old copies of Florida Onion Newspaper from Florida, NY

Monroe Historical Society

 

VIRTUAL TOURS ON YOUTUBE:

30 AYRES CT, CIRCLEVILLE NY

54 BERRY LN, CIRCLEVILLE NY

103 COUTANT RD, CIRCLEVILLE NY

742 GOSHEN TPKE, CIRCLEVILLE NY

1816 ROUTE 302, CIRCLEVILLE NY

2031 ROUTE 302, CIRCLEVILLE  NY

2238 ROUTE 302, CIRCLEVILLE NY

2354 ROUTE 302, CIRCLEVILLE NY

36 SEAMAN RD, CIRCLEVILLE NY

82 SEAMAN RD, CIRCLEVILLE  NY

80 SUSAN LN, CIRCLEVILLE NY